Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Framed!

How hard is bowling? I know. I bowl like once every two months, but that's not what I'm talking about. People make fun of Olympic curlers all the time for not playing a real sport and getting credit for just that, but how difficult would it be for me to train for like five years and become a professional bowler? It can't be that difficult. Even a 12-year-old can do it.

May 11 (Bloomberg) -- Kamron Doyle has gone from birthday party bowler to money-winning professional in little time.

Doyle, a 12-year-old from Brentwood, Tennessee, became the youngest bowler to take home a check at a Professional Bowling Association tournament, the association said in a news release.

Doyle, bowling as a non-member, earned $400 two days ago after finishing 30th at Georgia’s Canton Open regional tournament. The money will go into a scholarship account.

The sixth-grade student had a 215.1 average, bowling 13 games in a 94-player field that included some of the top national tour professionals from the organization’s south region. Reigning PBA Player of the Year Walter Ray Williams Jr. won the event.

“I just practice and bowl in a lot of tournaments,” Doyle said in the release. “There’s no secret -- just go out there and do it.”

Doyle discovered the sport while attending a friend’s bowling birthday party as a 7-year-old, according to his mother, Cathy.

“After that, he was hooked,” she said in the statement. “Before we knew it, he was bowling three days a week and at this point I think he’s got about 60 bowling balls.”

Doyle is the youngest bowler to roll a U.S. Bowling Congress-certified 800 series, with a 279, a 278 and a 245 for a three-game total of 802 as an 11-year-old. He’s had two perfect 300 games.

The PBA is made up of more than 3,800 bowlers from 13 countries who compete on the PBA Tour or Regional and Senior Tour events.

This can't be all too difficult if a kid can rank 30th in a State. If I tried, I could learn the technique. All that is required in bowling is the same motion 12 consecutive turns. How hard could it be. There is no defense. There is no clock. There is no sand trap. It's the same thing over and over again. How hard could a sport be if drinking beer can only make it better. (No offense, golf.)

It's something to think about. I think I should work on an actual career before I allow myself to become a pro bowler.

9 comments:

  1. Wrong, if you bowl with the same motion 12 times in a row about 6 of those will end up missing the pocket or with splits, the oil patterns the pros use are even harder and you constantly have to adjust. I used to think I could be a professional bowler and I even played in a "fun" league once but I gave it up when I realized what losers the pro bowlers are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ill stick to enjoying bowling once in a while...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jughead, let's see you bowl, then. How about a showdown at JIB or whatever bowling place is closest to you in Queens?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm up for a showdown. JIB is walking distance for me. You're on. Shoot me an email.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I was actually just kidding - I suck at bowling. I will email you, though. I'm wondering if I've bumped into you before...

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about we just do lunch instead of bowling? Sushi sound good?

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA! I have actually never payed for sushi in my life, but it does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nu? Pick the restaurant and let's go for it. I will have to email you, I guess.

    ReplyDelete