Sunday, March 21, 2010

Why Don't you Call?

"Why don't you call?" is a question everyone hears from their parents or grandparents at some point after they haven't called for about four hours.* My grandparents are no exception. I am always hearing things like "we never hear from you." Or "What? You don't like us anymore? Or my personal favorite, "is that what you think of us?"

For the record, no. That's not what I think of you. Additionally, I think that if I had to calculate the amount of times I've called you in the last year and stacked them against the amount of times you called me, I'd say that I win going away. I'm not complaining, but they did invent the two-way communication device. You can call me, too.

Now, you readers may be saying something along the lines of "but they are your grandparents. It would be the respectful thing to do to call them." True. However, I feel that I call them enough, and if they want to speak more often than that they should call me sometimes instead of complaining about it all the time.

Having said that, my grandfather called me today. He was on line and he saw my gchat status** and wanted to know what it meant. I then realized that my grandfather had the ability to communicate via gchat but didn't know how to do it. The rest of the conversation was me talking to him via instant messenger and him responding through the phone. I have never heard him laugh so hard. He called my grandmother in to see what he was seeing., She was just as amazed. I love old people.

I tried to explain to them how to respond via instant messenger but they were just not getting it. Oh well. If that were the case, I wouldn't have to call them so often. But then I might hear the complaint of "why don't you ever I.M.? rotfl" (because they wouldn't know what that actually means).

**Another one bites the dust

1 comment:

  1. Wow, your grandparents are pretty advanced! My mother won't let us teach her how to turn on the computer... and I'm always finding unopened texts on her phone that people sent her months ago.

    ReplyDelete