Friday, February 5, 2010

Football Ramblings

OK, I was debating posting this, but here goes. For those of you following the NFL this year, there was a little bit of controversy regarding the Indianapolis Colts. The Colts had the opportunity to win every single game this season and come out with a perfect record, a feat that has only been accomplished by one other team in history (a team which nobody likes due to their arrogance). Instead, the Colts decided to rest their players instead of going for the undefeated season. They ended up losing the final two games of the season (games which were winnable) and having their players rested for the playoffs.

Enough of the background. In a recent conversation with a friend (we'll call him Johan), I was informed that he will be rooting for the Saints in the Superbowl this year because of what the Colts did. After pointing out that this is stupid, he explained why he was doing this:

1) A team is required to entertain its fans. They pay good money to come see their team play hard (even if they don't win) and by playing their backups, the Colts failed their team.

2) If you have the chance to become one of the all-time greatest teams in history, you are almost required by the league to go for it (especially to overthrow a team like the '72 Dolphins).

These are dumb points.

First of all, a team is not required to entertain its fans. They are required to put a competitive team on the field. The goal at the beginning of every season is to win the Superbowl. They should do whatever they think is necessary to win a championship. If resting their players was how they thought they could achieve that, then let them do it that way. Nobody wants to go 18-1 and have the 1 be in the Superbowl.

Secondly, they do not owe anything to the fans of the NFL. They are not required to make history. They are required to win, or else loose their jobs. The Colts have done the most consistent job of putting a winning team on the field (they have won at least 12 games in each of the last 345 seasons) and are contenders every year. You lowly NFL fan do not have the right to question them.

I was going to root for the Saints in the Superbowl. I always want to see the underdog win if I have no rooting interest in the game, but because of Johan (I knew I'd need to come back to that name), I feel like I should be rooting for the Colts. They deserve it based on strategy alone.

Update: Sorry, This was the real song I wanted to post:

1 comment:

  1. I agree,I would want my team to focus on winning a championship even if that means blowing a chance at a perfect season. However, if I had paid money to go to that game I would have been really pissed off. I can't bring myself to go for the Saints because of the whole ridiculous "who dat" thing but there's nothing exciting about the Colts since they blew the perfect season. I'm cheering for the commercials this year.

    ReplyDelete