Friday, February 19, 2010

Eldrick

Let me start off by saying that I don't care what Tiger Woods did. I don't care about his private life. I don't care about his character. I don't care about his wife. This is not about any of that. This post is dedicated to the downfall of American Media (yes, I know that happened many times before, but this is a whole new level).

My issue is that something as unimportant as Tiger's promiscuity can overtake the airwaves for an entire day. Every and I mean EVERY station (AM radio and TV) had the press conference on. It got as much press coverage as THE PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS TO THE NATION! That defines insanity. The only thing anyone should be caring about in this situation is when Tiger is coming back to the tour. He didn't even address it. He said that he will eventually return but he can't be sure when that will be. I don't care about anything else.

Another thing that irked me is the fact that he was able to demand just who heard the speech live and in person. Once you do something that you need to apologize publicly for, you lose your right to determine who is allowed entrance to your press conferences. He had members of the media who weren't invited to be there live stationed in a hotel ball room OVER A MILE AWAY FROM THE CONFERENCE. They should have just stayed home. Tiger Woods has lost his social status and should not warrant this type of treatment.

The bottom line is this: An issue that is normally left for TMZ has infiltrated ABC, CBS, ESPN and CNN. This cannot stand. In a time where the Olympics are going on, the last thing I want to hear about in the sports world is this. It is truly sad.

3 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same way! The amount of attention awarded to someone who is, frankly, not important, absolutely bewilders me. And the fact that the stock market went up when he delivered his speech just enrages me. The whole thing is just a very accurate depiction of shallowness, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FWIW, you can't simultaneously be outraged over his private matter getting such air while also decrying his right to choose who comes: It was a private press conference, essentially, and he can invite whom he pleases. (It's no different than me calling one.) The press then chooses a) whether to attend, b) whether to air it, and c) how much play it should get. If you want to complain, it's not about Woods - just the press.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 2 statements about the press conference.
    1. Tiger doesn't have to apologize to any Americans for anything, what he did was between him and his wife. (only valid point was that he wasn't a good role model)
    2. Tiger was 100% correct to say that his life is private and that his wife and kids should not be stalked.

    ReplyDelete