Sunday, January 17, 2010

Weddings are the Downfall of Dating

Obvious? Maybe. But this is not in terms of the chosson and kallah, specifically. It is in terms of the yet-to-be-married friends. Why is it that weddings tend to bring out the shadchan in everyone? I know. There's a wedding going on with a lot of singles running around and people can't help themselves. But what are they hoping for? Maybe if it goes really well, we could just wrap this wedding up and have another one right afterward. I joke. There is no way they'll be able to find a band on such short notice.

I just can't understand why someone would come up to me and say "I heard you singing by zemiros on Shabbos by the auf rauf. You have a really nice voice. I think you would be good for my niece."

My response: "Hi."
What I'm actually thinking: "What do you think my name is?"

Seriously, I appreciate that people are trying to be nice and everything (no I don't), and I like the fact that they have chosen me for the nicety (see previous parenthetical), but why? I'm not someone who you've known for more than the time it takes the kallah to walk down the aisle (which I realize can take upwards of three months- I'm talking about the less typical situations), and already you are convinced that due to my ability to recite the same songs I do every week, I am somehow suitable for someone you've known her entire life.

No comments:

Post a Comment